How realtors can set themselves apart from the competition
As a realtor, you’re living the dream of working for yourself. But dreams don’t come easy. Competition is stiff—for clients and listings—and it’s important to stand out from the crowd.
Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
- Find your niche: Whether it’s catering to new Canadians, seniors downsizing, or even a particular area, find one thing to specialize in and be the best at it. This doesn’t mean you’re limiting yourself, rather, you’re establishing yourself as an expert and clients will come to you with confidence that you are the right choice for them.
- Showcase your expertise: Today, clients are more involved in finding homes to view than in the past. With online tools, they can find and send their realtors the listings they want to see. But as a realtor, the value you add to the process cannot be understated. Speak to your clients and get an understanding of their budget, their preferences and must-haves, and use your expertise to find them the right listings to view as well.
- Stay in touch: Always try to stay in touch with your clients, even after you’ve helped them buy or sell a property. It can be through newsletters, birthday cards, or even an occasional phone call. If you remain top-of-mind, the next time they’re thinking of buying or selling, you’ll be the one they call.
- Ask for testimonials and referrals: The best time to ask for a testimonial or referral is when the deal closes. You can get your clients to give you a video testimonial or even just provide quotes that you can use on your website. Your clients also have a large network that you can tap into. Ask them to refer you to their friends and family; you can even offer incentives for each referral.
- Offer clients a unique perk: Let your clients know that you have their best interests at heart by offering to purchase one of FCT’s Home Protection Plans* for them. It gives buyers an 18-month warranty on major household features in their new home and provides sellers a pre-listing inspection and warranty on the home they’re trying to sell. It is a major differentiator for realtors and helps you add even more value for your clients.
Do you have any other tips to stand out from the crowd? Share them in the comments section.
*Some products/services may vary by province.