Our holistic approach to commercial title insurance coverage
When it comes to protecting their clients, some legal professionals believe that a single-risk policy like a “survey replacement” or “registration gap” policy coupled with a title opinion is enough. Others prefer to rely on the full coverage of a title policy.
Did you know that 52% of claims paid by FCT relate to risks that would not be covered by a title opinion, survey replacement or registration gap policy?
As most legal professionals know, real estate is one of the riskiest areas of law.*
While the single-risk policies can certainly be useful to your clients, our title insurance policy offers the same closing efficiencies, but with considerably more coverage. In addition to survey replacement and registration gap coverage, some of the claims covered by title insurance include:
- Duty to pay your client’s legal fees if their interest in the property is ever challenged as a result of a risk covered under the title policy. Examples include encroachment claims from abutting landowners and possessory claims to title.
- Title defects such as prior charges, liens or encumbrances that may affect the interest in the property.
- Errors in written responses from governmental authorities pertaining to outstanding work orders, deficiency notices or the zoning of the land.
- Fraud and forgery that happened before, during or after the transaction closes†.
- Super-priority lien claims for monies owing to the government prior to the closing date and take priority over the insured mortgage (Loan only).
- Outstanding work orders, including coverage for improvements presently on the land that were built without the proper building or occupancy permits (Loan only).
- And more!
At FCT, we have a holistic approach to title insurance coverage and don’t believe in carving out coverages into separate policies. Our experienced underwriters actually customize coverage for each transaction based on your client’s individual requirements. We want to ensure you have all the protection you and your clients need in one policy so you can close your deal with peace of mind.
In fact, we aim to offer our customers more than a policy: when you work with FCT you get more protection, more solutions and more experience.